ATVing in the Lake Mille Lacs area
The Mille Lacs area has some of the best riding trails for your ATV. From smooth rides on the Soo Line Trail to some of the most challenging and “muddy” trails you can find anywhere. Hop on and ride. There are ATV trails for beginners to experts so bring your ATVs and ride! See MAPS for ATV trails.
Trail Towns: The Mille Lacs County Trail Towns of Onamia, Wahkon and Isle welcome you to the Soo Line Trail. Aitkin County Trail Towns of McGrath, Lawler, McGregor, Palisade, Hill City and Jacobson welcome you to the Aitkin County Northwoods ATV Trail System. From trail heads and parking lots located in the Trail Town communities you find marked routes to establishments offering food, fuel and other amenities.
- Onamia is located on the Soo Line Trail on the SW corner of Lake Mille Lacs. Food and fuel are available. There is trailhead parking at the Library/Depot on Roosevelt Road.
- Wahkon is on the Soo Line trail on the South end of Mille Lacs. Food, fuel and lodging are available.
- Isle is also located along the Soo Line on the SE corner of Lake Mille Lacs. Food, fuel and lodging are available. Trailhead parking is located 1 block south of Main Street on 5th Avenue, look for picnic table and canopy.
- McGrath; Hwy 65 South, located on the Soo Line. McGrath is an old logging town founded by James E. McGrath, and is home to the White Pine Logging and Threshing Show. Trailhead parking.
- Lawler; Aitkin County Roads 16 and 13, located on the Soo Line and near the North and South Lawler Loops, Jackson’s Hole in the old town site of Lawler has food and fuel available. Trailhead parking.
McGregor; Hwy 65 and Hwy 210, located on the Soo Line. An old Rail Road Town and home to Big Sandy Lake. Food, Fuel and Lodging are available and accessible from the trail. Trailhead parking.
Palisade; Aitkin County Roads 3 and 5, on the Soo Line. Palisade is located on the banks of the Mighty Mississippi and the old rail road bridge over the Mississippi is now part of the trail. The trail runs along Berglund Park with camping and shower facilities. Trailhead parking.
Hill City; Hwy’s 169 and 200 on the Rabey Line and Hill City Connector Trails. Sprawled along beautiful Hill Lake. The Municipal campground has all facilities, Quadna Mountain Resort is located in Hill City and offers amenities and a 9 Hole Golf Course. Trailhead parking.
Jacobson; Hwy’s 65 and 200 on the Rabey Line. Also located on the Mississippi River, you can access the Jacobson Campground which has two Camper Cabins as well regular camping. Food and Fuel is easily accessible. Trailhead parking.
Currently ATV rentals are not available in the immediate area.